Sunday, June 27, 2010

God Gives Wisdom


In Fall of 2005 I spent a lot of time talking with God about the future and what our family needed to do. I had been contacted by FBC Perry about being their pastor. I was happy where God had placed us but couldn't shake the feeling that He was up to something. So we talked. As time moved on we interviewed with the committee and met at a neutral site where I was able to preach. My wife and I began to feel a strong pull toward this church and her people. God and I kept talking.

I needed wisdom.

The followers of Christ, numbering around 120, were baffled about their current satte of affairs. Jesus had risen to life only to leave 40 days later. Now what? What were they supposed to do? Jesus said their would be a comforter to follow. Who was this? Where is He? When is He coming? Is He already here? No one knew and everyone was frustrated, I am sure. This group of believers kept gathering together and kept talking to God. The Bible isn't clear about how long it was, just that it was later. it was during one of these moments that Peter stood up and laid out a plan.

God responded to my wife and I with a sense of wisdom about what to do because we kept asking, kept seeking, and kept knocking. God responded to the group of believers by giving Peter wisdom that He knew Peter would share with the group. You see, the first way we see God responding to the prayers of the people is to give wisdom. James 1:5 tells us, "If you need wisdom, if you want to know what God wants you to do, ask Him, and He will gladly tell you."

Keep asking. Keep seeking. Keep knocking. God will respond. Are you listening?

No comments:

Post a Comment